Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mermaid


The last workshop I did at Suzi's was all about mermaids. This was my first painting and my first piece of art I finished off with beeswax. I really loved working with that (love the smell!) and it gives the painting much more depth. It's like she's really swimming in water. To show you how the wax changed the painting I'll show some photos of the process of making this painting.





I started with making the background and then collaging the mermaid on top of it. 





I experimented with different tail colors. Added some modeling paste to her hair and the star fish. The little seahorse is a bead I happened to have.




This is the painting before I started to add the beeswax and some stars, wool and knitting thread.
Can you see the difference?



No comments: